Thursday, July 1, 2010

Week #1 of Marathon Training

Well, I am officially 18 weeks from the Marine Corps Marathon in DC, so it's time to start serious training. I finally settled on a training plan - Hal Higdon's Novice II. I really like the HH plans - I run Tuesday (short), Wednesday (sorta long), Thursday (short) and Saturday (long). It's predictible, builds mileage gradually, with taper weeks built in. And it makes the OCD part of my brain very happy.

So I'm done with the midweek workouts - 3 miles, 5 miles and 3 miles - all went really well. Have 8 on the schedule for Saturday. (Will have to be early morning, as the blast furnace is on full power down here in Texas.)

Lately I've been struggling mentally with the idea of actually running 26.2 miles.

Can I really do it?

What if I don't?

Well - here's the thing. Nope, I can't do it right now. That's why it's necessary to train for a marathon. I can gut my way through 3.1 miles (see my very first blog post about my very first road race for reference), but 26.2... not so much. Every run I put in during the next 17 weeks, whether it's 3 miles or 20 miles, has a purpose and will ultimately help me when I line up at the start line on October 31. Every single run is important and I know if I follow my training plan as closely as possible, I will be okay. I will be more than okay. I will be a marathoner. And I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. How's your training been going Heather?

    Hope all is well,
    Charlie P

    ReplyDelete